Here is an excellent clip on a very pertinent topic that come to the surface when Christians attempt to say there are hundreds of messianic prophecies that are fulfilled in Jesus. Much of this material is adapted from the following book.
To study more on this topic, see these resources that are available on Theopedia.
- The New Testament Use of the Old Testament, (PDF) by Robert L. Thomas
- The Old Testament in the New Testament (Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology)
- The Use of the Old Testament in the New (multiple articles)
- Evangelicals and the Use of the Old Testament in the New, by Darrell Bock (part 1), (part 2)Matthew’s Use of the Old Testament: A Preliminary Analysis, by Lee Campbell
- Interpreting Old Testament Prophetic Literature in Matthew: Double Fulfilment, by Craig Blomberg
- New Testament Use of the Old Testament, by Roger Nicole
- ‘Who is the Prophet Talking About?’ Some Reflections on the New Testament’s Use of the Old, by Richard Longenecker
- Jesus’ Use of Old Testament Themes in Matthew 23:34-39, by Susan Rieske
- The New Testament Use of the Old Testament (PDF), by Robert L. Thomas
- Three Views on the NT Use of the OT, by Andy Naselli
- The Old Testament in the New Testament, by Donald A. Hagner from Interpreting the Word of God. Festschift in Honor of Steven Barabas. Chicago: Moody Press, 1976. Hbk. pp.78-104.
Other helpful links
- Two Testaments, One Story, an interview with D. A. Carson and Gregory Beale (Christianity Today)
- Evoking Scripture: An Interview with Steve Moyise, by Nijay Gupta
- The Use of the Old Testament in the New Testament